Thursday 2 January 2014

January 2nd, 2014

Early days I know but well I'm back for the second day of my self-challenge and I've read another book and posted my review of it so 2 out of 2 can't be bad!

Spent yesterday afternoon at Mum's with my hubby, Mum, my sister and her family along with her grand-daughter. We had a nice dinner of poached salmon, assorted other sea food, a roast gammon for the non-fish eaters and a vast array of desserts. Mum is a little on edge, to say the least, because tomorrow (Jan 3rd) she's going into hospital to have hip replacement surgery and I think she's pondering a lot on all of the things that could go wrong so we are trying to be extra supportive right now. It's a good job she's only 2 miles away from me so I am able to spend as much time there as she needs and will need once she gets out of hospital.

Anyway yesterday I decided to start exploring the 108 books in my "To be read" folder on my Kindle and pick one to read - I tend to get a bit carried away downloading lots of freebies and then never get around to reading them so that's another challenge I've sort of set myself!

The book I ended up with was Seeing Stars by Vanessa Grant.  It was originally first published in 2001 and to be honest it did feel dated but not in a good way.  Oh and if you are going to re-publish something please have it re-edited because this one was full of typos etc. and that is something that I really find annoying.

Anyway my review for it is here:   https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/808359494

As you might be starting to realise I am totally anal about books being published (especially if I've spent real money on them) whether for Kindle or on paper that have just not been properly checked for editorial, typographical and grammatical errors. I've been known to stop reading a book altogether if it is really bad because I find that the errors fix themselves into my brain more than the story does. 

Oh and another thing, I know that English (whether it is British English or American English etc) is an ever evolving being BUT please don't make words up.  I don't mean in an internet abbreviation or text-talk type of way either, if you don't know how to spell a word properly or your spell checker doesn't like it then it's probably wrong so either pick a different word that means the same or find the correct spelling of the word you originally wanted to use.  Here's a couple that I've spotted very recently that have really annoyed me:

Normalcy - sorry but Normal is an adjective and it's noun is Normality
Drug - not used to mean a medication or narcotic but in the context of moving or pulling an object or person "He drug her towards the bed" should surely be "He dragged her towards the bed".

Ok rant over for now. Have a great day to anyone who is actually reading this and has got to the end.  Feel free to leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment